What Happens on the day?
On Arrival of your Narrowboat Holiday
Your holiday has started! The arrival procedure is fun and as much a part of the holiday as when you will be left to your own devices. On arrival at Droitwich Spa Marina, you will be guided to your boat where Catherine or a member of her team will greet you. At this point you will be welcomed on board before unpacking your belongings, and offered a welcoming arrival drink.
We will take this opportunity to check that you have already read the Operator’s Manual, which you will have received as part of your arrival pack-up, understood the Terms & Conditions and have all watched the Boaters Hand Book DVD and, if you haven’t, allow time for you to do so.
Before you set off on your well-deserved break, we will ensure the following:
- Safe parking of your car(s) in the Droitwich Spa Marina compound. Car Parking is provided free of charge, but entirely at owner’s risk.
- Give you a walk-through demonstration of the boat and its facilities/inventory. This is being done virtually via video whilst the country is coping with the COVID pandemic.
- Ask you to state, and sign for, the level of experience you have in narrow boating on canals, so that we give you the appropriate amount of tuition upon casting off.
- Boating Tuition/Demonstration: We will provide boating tuition/demonstration as a matter of course for each hire, unless you wish to sign the disclaimer on the Boat Acceptance Certificate to state that you have enough previous experience not to require a full demonstration; if this is the case, we will alter the tuition/demonstration to meet your individual needs. The demonstration will include: Casting off & Mooring up / Correct Speed / Passing of Oncoming & Moored Boats / Lift Bridge & Lock Operation (3 locks) / On-board Safety / Turning the Boat round / Starting & Stopping the Engine / Emergency Procedures: Man Over-board etc.
- Only when you feel totally secure with handling the boat will we leave you to get on and enjoy your holiday. After that we will be contactable by phone, text, e-mail, FB Messenger and WhatsApp, so you will never be far away from a helping hand or advice; there is free unlimted- WiFi on board for your use.
Your boat should be available to you by 2.30pm on the first day of your hire. Sometimes an earlier pick up time can be arranged, but that is dependent on whether our boat is on a back to back handover. If you do arrive early you could either have a look around the pretty Marina, visit the shops, or go for some food at the lovely local eateries which are all within a very short distance from the Marina. We will have provided you details of these in our arrival paperwork.
Relax and enjoy your holiday!
Some Pre-Reading for your Holiday
As part of your Arrival Pack-Up guests will be sent a copy of your boat’s Handbook which, if read prior to your holiday, will help you become better familiarised with the boat before your arrival. A hard copy of the book will also be on board your boat ready for you to refer to at any time. It explains everything you need to know about handling your boat, rules of the water, boat etiquette, and how to use all the facilities provided onboard.
General information in the handbook is based on the Boater’s Handbook which has been produced by the Canal and River Trust (CRT). You can have an early look at the CRT Handbook below if you fancy having getting ahead of the game.