Eco Friendly Narrowboat Holdiays
Our Shared Responsibility
We are blessed in the UK to have the services of the Canals and Riverboat Trust (CRT) who look after over 2000 miles of canals & rivers and 35,000 boats. They, like us at Cafwin Cruises, believe that life is better on the water and they have a top team of committed experts and volunteers who help to protect the waterway environment and improve it for both people and nature. They spend close to £1million every year trying to remove as much litter from the waterways as possible, so that we can all enjoy the beautiful scenery. We are sure that our guests will want to assist the CRT by using the canals and rivers responsibly when they holiday on Arthur Owl.
To help our guests take responsible care, Arthur Owl will come equipped with the following:
- An under counter 30 ltr waste bin and a list of places of where it can be emptied, though we are sure you’ll find lots of suitable disposal areas along the way yourself
- Biodegradable and compostable bin liners – enough for your holiday
- Reusable coffee filters
- A loose tea infuser
- 100% organic Chicopee Biodegradable dish cloths and dish towels
- LED light bulbs
- Natural cleaning products
- Natural toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body cream – enough for your holiday
- Specific marine soft toilet rolls – please don’t bring your own
Looking out for wildlife
On the waterways you could spot anything from ducks and dragon flies to kingfishers and water voles. Our waterways are truly a great way to unwind and get back to nature. The CRT provide lots of information on line about our wildlife and you can download a free nature’s spotter’s guide and also read the latest guidance on what to feed ducks. Some recommend alternative duck food which won’t upset their tummies, but there are lots of theories on whether bread is, or is not, good for them. We’ve read up a lot about this subject and find that different organisations recommend different things. So long as you are kind to the wild life, don’t leave litter for them to swallow and damage themselves on, then you will be doing a great job. Children particularly might enjoy the nature’s spotters guide and it’s got to be a better past time for them than being stuck to their I-Pads playing games or watching YouTube. Getting back to nature, whilst still being in comfort, is the way to go!